Friday, June 24, 2011

Chapter 4 - Just Breathe

'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table 

No one can find the rewind button, girl.
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe... just breathe, Oh breathe, just breathe

May he turned 21 on the base at Fort Bliss
"Just a day" he said down to the flask in his fist,
"Ain't been sober, since maybe October of last year.
"Here in town you can tell he's been down for a while,
But, my God, it's so beautiful when the boy smiles,
Wanna hold him. Maybe I'll just sing about it.

- Anna Nalick 'Just Breathe'



Glossary
Prat - Yet another mildly insulting name for someone. In fact, this one is a bit ruder than pillock so you probably wouldn't say it in front of Grandma.
Roger - To have your wicked way with a woman. My Oxford English Dictionary says to copulate. You might say screw.
Shite - This is just another way of saying shit. It is useful for times when you do not want to be overly rude, as it does not sound quite as bad.
Bag - Another name for what you might call a purse.
Purse - Another name for what you might call a wallet. 



Chapter 4 – Just Breathe


~*~ Edward Cullen ~*~

Everyone was silent as we boarded the jet; I was not sure if it was the fact that it was five in the morning or if the events from last night were still fresh in everyone’s mind. I looked back as my parents said goodbye to Emmett and Alice. As my mother was hugging Alice, she briefly looked up at me and I could see the pain in her eyes before she closed them. I turned around and just boarded the jet; I know things with me will definitely have to change when I get back.
I was sitting in the back of the jet checking my email on my iPad when I happened to glance up and notice Katrina. I wasn’t sure if it was the glow from the rising sun or just her looking so relaxed and natural but for the first time I really noticed how naturally beautiful she was. She was sitting there in a pink tank top and light grey sweat pants, her hair was pulled up in a messy ball on the top of her head, and she was smiling while reading something on her phone.
I must have been staring pretty long because the next thing I knew Kat looked away from her phone and in my direction, I tried to turn my head real fast so she wouldn’t notice I was staring but I wasn’t fast enough. I could see her smiling and blushing out of the corner of my eyes.
Alice and Jasper boarded the jet and sat down in the front across from Katrina followed by Emmett and the pilot who shut and locked the door. Emmett came and sat down next to me and then Riley gave Bree a quick kiss, followed Emmett to the back, and sat across from me.
Emmett and Riley gave each other awkward looks without saying anything, so I grabbed my iPod out of my bag turned on my flight playlist, and finished checking the last few emails I had before setting my holiday message stating I’d be away for two weeks. I decided against my better judgment to check my Google Alerts to see if there had been any new articles or blogs written about me.
I was surprised to see that someone had leaked a snapshot of the video of Tanya and me in the backroom from my party with the caption that the full video to be released soon. I threw my iPad in the empty seat next to Riley and turned to look out the window. I was massaging the bridge of my nose with my index finger and thumb when I felt someone tap me on my shoulder, I pulled my headphones out of my ears and turned to look at Em and Riley both looking sympathetic.
 “Big Bro I really hope you aren’t planning to sulk the entire time we’re in Jamaica, so you smashed Tanya and it was caught on tape things happen.”
“Edward I am sure your parents will have everything taken care of before we get back from Jamaica.”
“Thanks Em Riley, I am trying not to worry about it but mum and dad didn’t even bother to say bye to me this morning. I know I’ve royally screwed up and I just hope when I get back I can make things up to them somehow.”
“Well Bro look at it this way, in the two weeks you’re gone, that’s fourteen whole days for a new scandal to take place while you’re gone. Cross your fingers that Lord Wentworth’s mistress decides to expose his affair this week and then all the attention will be off you mate.”
“Or… You could get serious about your future Edward.” Jasper said taking the seat next to Riley and handing me my iPad. “Look at Alice and me, we’ve been together for almost four years and with your parents blessing I am…” he looked behind us to make sure the girls weren’t listening before he continued in a hushed whisper. “I am going to ask Alice to marry me while we’re in Jamaica.”
I sat there completely stunned, my little sister was going to get engaged and married before I even had my first long term relationship. How depressing was that…
“Jazz that’s… that’s bloody amazing welcome to the family.” Emmett said pulling Jasper up into a bear hug “You better treat my little sister like the Queen she is or else you’ll have to deal with me.” Emmett said with a laugh patting Jasper on the back.
“Shhhh… it’s definitely a secret I am positive Alice has no idea I am planning this and I’ll need ya’lls help at some point to keep her distracted while I get the plans together.” Jasper said pulling himself away from Emmett.
“I guess you and Bree will be next yeah?” Jasper said to Riley as he sat back down.
“I love Bree and I would marry her in a heartbeat, but I think I’ll wait a bit before I even start thinking about taking the plunge down the aisle.” Riley said looking over his shoulder towards the girls.
I was still sitting there captivated in my own thoughts when I realized that the guys were all looking at me trying to gage my reaction.
“Jasper I mean that’s smashing, I know how happy you make my sister and how happy she makes you and I couldn’t be any happier for you two.” I said as I watched all three of their expressions shift back to happiness.
As the conversation shifted from the engagement to Polo, then to Rugby I excused myself grabbing my iPod, and going to the back of the jet to make myself a drink. I was looking through the mini-fridge for something to drink when I heard someone approaching from behind me.
“I hope you know that although mum and dad are extremely pissed at you right now, they still love you unconditionally.” Alice said hopping up and sitting down on the counter next to me.
I grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge and sat it down on the counter, I never knew how Alice did it but she always had a way of knowing exactly what to say to make me feel better.

~*~*~

“Alice I am worried, I don’t have a good feeling about this.” I said pacing back and forth at the foot of my bed. “Jasper sent me a text and apparently Emmett, Riley and him have separated to look for her friend, it’s been hours do you think we should alert the authorities?”
“Edward trust me, everything is going to work out just fine. I have a feeling you’re doing exactly what needs to be done.” She said looking from the bed to me. “But you aren’t going to be much help if you don’t calm down. I’ve sent Laurent to get a concierge physician to examine her.”
“Thanks Alice.”
“No problem, once I know that she’s going to be ok I’ll join Em and the boys in the search for her friend.” she said watching her lying in my bed motionless except for the occasional shallow breath.
She had to be okay; in the five seconds, that we shared eye contact it was as if I’d finally met my other half, the ying to my yang. But that’s insane… how can an utter stranger make me feel so strongly for her from sharing a brief look in a crowded market. Alice was right, I am over my head with this whole situation, and I should just alert the authorities before this gets completely out of hand.
“Ok well I am going to go and check in with Laurent and see where the doctor is, I’ll let you know if I find out anything.” Alice said giving me a pat on my shoulder. “Oh and Edward… She’s going to be just fine, you’ll see.” She said before floating out of the room.
I’ve never wanted Alice to be more right this bad in my life; I walked over to the bed and sat down at the edge of it afraid that my weight shift in the bed would hurt her somehow. I grabbed her hand and instantly felt a strange current pulsating from her hand into mine. I was staring down at my hand trying to figure out what was causing the strange feeling when I felt her hand move. I looked up at her face and could see her pupils moving underneath her eyelids.
“Well don’t keep me waiting; I’ve been dying to see those beautiful brown eyes again.”
“Don’t… please don’t…” She whispered without opening her eyes while trying to slowly pull her hand out of mine.
“Don’t worry love; you’re ok now… you’re safe.” I said rubbing my thumb along the back of her hand trying to calm her.
I sat there for a moment longer waiting for her to say something else, anything else but she was completely silent and her breathing had become more normal. Aside from the bruise growing on her forehead and the few cuts on her cheek from the fall you’d never know she had just survived an assault. I heard a knock from behind me and quickly stood up to see Laurent standing at the door with two women in suits. I looked down at my now vacant hand and realized the current was gone and I felt empty again.
“I am so sorry… so so so sorry please forgive me Jake I never meant to hurt you…” She said in a breathy whisper.
Who the fuck was Jake and what did she have to be so sorry to him for? She better not be dreaming about apologizing to that asshole that did this to her.
“Edward this is Dr. Ashley Davies and her physician’s assistant Stephanie Walls.” Laurent said introducing the two women and pulling me out of my momentary jealousy.
“What happened to her?” Dr. Davies asked rushing toward the bed with her little black bag.
“Well I am sure Laurent has informed you but we require extreme discretion…”
“I am well aware… Prince Edward, we have already signed the nondisclosure agreement before being brought to the island. Now about this young woman…” the doctor said interrupting me, I quickly counted to ten in my head to keep from flipping out. I hated being interrupted…
“Well, I was at the market earlier and I saw her being assaulted by a gentleman that was forcing her into an ally for what I’d assume would potentially roger her. As I was going over to stop them, she tripped, fell, and hit her head on the ground. She had moments of consciousness a few times where she was trying to say something but it didn’t make any sense.”
“Ok and how long ago was it when she hit her head?”
“Well I am not exactly sure, but I want to say it’s been almost three to four hours.” I was getting a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. “Shite did I wait too long to call you here to examine her? I assumed she’d be fine since she was slightly talking when I was bringing her here.”
“Your Highness…” The assistant started.
“Edward, you can call me Edward” As long as they fixed her, they could call me anything they wanted.
“Well Edward, we have to check her vitals and make sure she’s really ok, don’t beat yourself up you did the right thing by calling us. What’s her name?”
“Oh, I don’t know she was unconscious when I found her and the few times she’s sort of been conscious it was as if she was talking to someone that isn’t here.”
“No problem does she have a purse we can just check to see if she has any identification” The assistant said reaching for her bag and pulling out her purse. “According to her ID her name is Isabella Swan.” She said closing her purse and gently placing it back in her bag and then setting the bag down.
“My darling Isabella you have to be ok, I have to get to know the girl behind the big brown eyes.” I whispered to myself as I stood at the end of the bed and watched as they took her blood pressure and flashed a light in her eyes. I had no idea what any of this meant and they kept giving each other knowing glances, which only made me feel worse. I was literally about to snap if no one told me what was going on soon.
 “Edward, it appears that she is going to be fine. She’s going to have a massive headache when she wakes up and will probably be a little disoriented.” Dr. Davies said unhooking the blood pressure thingy from around her arm. “I am going to write her a prescription for a mild painkiller and highly suggest she gives me a call if she feels any light headedness or dizziness for a prolonged time after she wakes up.” She said taking a little pad out of her bag and scribbling something on it, before tearing the paper off and sitting it on the table next to the bed.
“I appreciate you both coming out on such short notice, please see Laurent on your way out about your payment.” I said as they finished packing up their belongings and walking them out of the room.
I came back and sat back down on the edge of the bed. I didn’t know what it was but something inside of me was really happy that she was going to be ok. Is it possible I was falling in love with someone I didn’t even know… this is ridiculous what am I doing? Come on I have to snap out of this I don’t fall in love… I don’t do love… I don’t deserve love…

~*~*~

“Alice I know they love me, but at the same time I know I am just a giant disappointment to them and one day I will become a disappointing king.” I said turning and facing the concern in my little sister’s face.
“Edward knowing something and believing it are two very different things. I’ll never fully understand the pressure that you’re under being the future king but at the same time Edward you have to allow people to get close to you. All the effort you’re putting into not getting attached to anyone is causing you more trouble and pain than a temporary broken heart.”
“Alice it’s not as easy for me as it is for you and Jasper every time I meet someone I have to first wonder if they’re truly interested in me or just the title. At least you know since Jasper already has a title that he isn’t after yours.”
“Oh please, Edward you can’t honestly think you’re going to meet your future wife in one of those clubs and brothels you hang around in. How can you attempt to connect with someone you meet in a situation like that?”
“But Alice…”
“No there are no excuses if you’re serious about meeting someone you have to put yourself out there completely and be open before the right woman will come into your life. You cannot keep letting what happened in the past keep you from your future or you will grow old and lonely and none of us wants that for you. I know you’ll meet the woman of your dreams and believe me dear brother when you see her for the first time you’ll know she’s the one, you’ll just feel it.” She said giving me a quick hug before sliding off the counter and going back to her seat.
“God I know I don’t pray much, and with my lifestyle I probably should. But if you’ll point me in the direction of a good woman that’ll love me for me I promise I’ll get my life together and will honestly try to be the best man I can be.”

~*~*~

I was watching Isabella sleeping peacefully when something Alice once told me years ago when she caught me looking in her bag for gum. “Edward a woman’s bag is like a part of her soul, that’s where we keep very personal things and you should never go in a woman’s bag without permission.” Since Isabella is sleeping, I cannot technically ask her for permission to look in her bag so I will not technically be breaking any unspoken women rules if I glance inside. I thought as I grabbed her bag off the nightstand and sat it down on the bed in front of me.
Then again… if I do this it would be a complete invasion of her privacy not to mention I would hate it if someone to go ransacking my personal space like this… Therefore, I sat the bag back on the nightstand.
But how irresponsible is it for me to have her sleeping in my bed and not know anything about her… although that wouldn’t be a first, maybe I should just take a quick peek. I grabbed the bag back off the nightstand and pulled out her purse. “God, if this is a bad idea give me a sign.” I said slowly pulling it open waiting to be struck by lightning but nothing happened, therefore, I went ahead and opened it all the way.
“No! James please don’t… I will do whatever you want… just leave Rose and me alone… I am begging you…” Isabella said struggling in her sleep.
“Isabella darling you’re alright, I won’t let anyone harm you trust me.” I said pulling her arms to her side. I brushed the stray hairs out of her face and placed a gentle chaste kiss on her forehead. The moment my lips touched her skin, my heart skipped a beat and then started to beat faster and faster. I pulled away and ran my hand over my lips I looked down and was shocked to see brown eyes staring back at me.
“You’re awake…”
“Who are you? Where am I? What am I doing here? What do you want from me? Where’s Rose…” She said without taking a single breath.
“Isabella just breathe you’re safe.”
“Where’s James… what did he do to Rose? And who are you?” She said slowly getting off the bed and creeping towards the door.
“I’m Edward Cullen and I found you in the alley right before… Isabella, please believe me when I say, I would never hurt you.” I said slowly walking towards her; the closer my body was to hers the more I felt a force pulling me towards her.

~*~Bella Swan~*~

I suddenly awakened by an electric current pulsating through my body, but the strange part was that I actually enjoyed it. I was lying on a large bed in a large dimly lit room; I looked around but could not see any windows or a door. I heard a faint chuckle coming from the shadows I looked around quickly trying to find the source. The hairs on the back of my neck were tingling, I was definitely not alone and that scared me, where was I…
“James…” I called out to the shadows. “James please don’t hurt me, I’ll give you whatever you want if you’ll let me go.”
I heard movement in the shadows on my left and then another laugh that echoed throughout the massive room.
“What did you do… where did you take me and what happened to Rose? Please just don’t hurt us.” I said to the person lurking in the shadows.
At first, there was no response just the echoing evil laughter from the shadows. I was not sure what sick game this was but I was not a fan. I had to get out of here now before this got any worse; I rolled towards the edge of the bed and slowly stepped off. 
I took a few steps into the darkness and slipped into a giant bottomless black hole in the ground. I started screaming at the top of my lungs, if I did not have a heart attack, I was sure the impact from the ground was bound to kill me….
Then I saw them, the most amazing pair of emerald green eyes staring back at me. I have seen those eyes somewhere before, but I could not put my finger on it.
“Please… you have to help me?” I pleaded as tears started to roll down my eyes. “Please, I need you… I need you to help me.”
The emerald eyes just looked at me before slowly disappearing into the distance. Then I just stopped falling, I was floating in the darkness all alone pleading for the emerald-eyed man to return and save me from James.
“That hurts Bella; you’re in trouble and instead of wanting me to save you you’re practically begging a stranger to do it.” Jake’s voice echoed all around me.
“Jake no…. it’s not like that.” I said wiping the tears from my face.
“Well it looks like you’ve spent the trip that WE were suppose to spend together, eye fucking another guy, all while I am sitting in a hospital room alone praying for my comatose father.” He said appearing out of the darkness. “You’re no better than Charlotte, you’ve hurt me just like she did I’ll never forgive you.”
“I am so sorry… so so so sorry please forgive me Jake I never meant to hurt you…” I said trying to walk in his direction.
“That’s what they all say… before they hurt me.” He sighed as he vanished into the darkness I was all alone… again and it was my entire fault.
As I was mentally beating myself up for hurting Jake the laughter started again.
“What do you want from me? Please just let me find Rose and go home.” I said as the laughter stopped and I heard Rose screaming and begging someone to help her.
“No! James please don’t… I will do whatever you want… just leave Rose and me alone… I am begging you…”
James appeared, started charging towards me, and tackled me to the ground. We were rolling around fighting when I felt the electric current rolling through my body again starting on my forehead and rolling throughout my entire body. The sensation was so enjoyable I closed my eyes to enjoy it, the next thing I know I felt a pair of soft lips on my forehead.
I slowly opened my eyes, I was no longer in the dark, and the gorgeous emerald-eyed Adonis was leaning over me, was that all a dream…

~*~*~

“Isabella just breathe you’re safe.”
“Where’s James… what did he do to Rose? And who are you?” I said slowly getting off the bed and creeping towards the door.
“I’m Edward Cullen and I found you in the alley right before… Isabella, please believe me when I say, I would never hurt you.” The Adonis said slowly walking towards me; the closer he was to me the more I felt a pull towards him as if my body was metal and he was a magnet.
“I don’t… understand. Where is Rose, I want to see Rose now.” I said starting to feel a little dizzy.
All of a sudden, my legs could no longer support my weight and I was headed for the floor. Within a blink of my eye, I was in his arms and he was carrying me back to the bed. The longer our skins connected the more relaxed I felt. I do not understand why being around him was giving me this kind of a reaction but I am not complaining.
“You need your rest, the doctor said you would be a little light headed when you first woke up, and I think all of this is just too much for you right now.” He said laying me down on the bed and sitting down next to me. “Isabella I want you to rest, you can’t get better if you don’t.” He said as his emerald eyes bore into my soul. We sat there staring into each other’s eyes for what felt like eternity until a knock at the door broke the trance.
“Edward, I… oh I see our guest has woken up. Is there anything I can get for you?” The guy in the doorway said addressing me.
It was weird that all these people knew me, and Rose was nowhere to be found, but the little voice in the back of my head was telling me that everything would be okay.
“Umm, no I don’t think I need anything.” I said looking from the man in the door to Edward.
“Laurent can you bring her something to eat and some water please.” Edward said without looking away from me.
“With pleasure, however, there is an urgent matter that needs your attention as soon as possible.” He said motioning with his eyes for Edward to join him outside of the room.
Edward gave the back of my hand one last rub before getting off the bed and walking over towards the door; they walked out to the hallway and then cracked the door behind them.
I could hear them whispering but I was having trouble making out exactly what was being said between the two of them.
I had just closed my eyes when I heard Edward yell “Emmett did WHAT?! Well is she ok?”
I tried as hard as I could to hear what Laurent said back to him, but all I could make out was that she was ok and they were on their way back to the house. The hall grew quiet and then Edward glided back into the room with a worried expression on his face.
“Umm is everything ok?” I asked as he came and sat back down on the end of the bed.
“Well I have good news and bad news. We have located your friend, and those men will not be bothering you ever again. However, I wanted to warn you that she was attacked and possibly assaulted but she’s on her way here.” He said grabbing me by the hand and looking at me sympathetically.
I did not know what to say, this whole trip was turning out to be a disaster and if anything happened to Rose it would be my entire fault. I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks again and just sat there sobbing, while the man god held my hand.

“Isabella I’ll make sure everything is ok, I promise…”



A/N Thank you for reading! We will get the next ch posted as quickly as possible! Reviews are nice... Let us know what you like and what you want to see happen! We could always use fresh ideas! :D

3 comments:

  1. I liked the chapter. I like the direction however it felt slightly fragmented compared to the previous chapters. I will certainly continue to read this and look forward to your future updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well for the most part, I didn't want to spend a lot of time going over the entire plane ride from London since it wasn't very important to the story. So I opted for flashbacks to the actual important parts that related to the present day. However, now that Bellward are on the same page I don't think any future chapters will be so choppy. (Well I can at least promise that as far as I've written in chapter 5 it hasn't come up.)

    Thanks for the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot about Jake... Princeward is just too distracting... I can't wait until Edward and Bella are like together-together... I think my whole summer is going to be spent waiting for updates for Princeward...

    ReplyDelete