Friday, November 16, 2012

Chapter 13 - Marry Me


Chapter 13 – Marry Me

Forever can never be long enough for me
To feel like I've had long enough with you
Forget the world now we won't let them see
But there's one thing left to do
Now that the weight has lifted
Love has surely shifted my way
Marry Me
Today and every day
Marry Me
If I ever get the nerve to say "Hello" in this cafe
Say you will
Mm-hmm
Say you will
Mm-hmm

Marry Me – Train



A/N: Well hello again, it's my favorite time of the week, Royal Bliss Update Day!

I am sure I am off schedule however, I am not sure how much although if my neglected calendar is any indication I am about three days or so. Nevertheless like the broken record that I am it's all worth it. And I haven't let you down so far have I? This chapter is a contender for being one of my favorites and I hope you guys love it as much as I do, which should be expressed in the review/comment section when you're done, please and thank you.
Special shout out to our newest reader Cade who read the entire story in one day. Kudos to you.
This chapter was inspired by three songs: Chasing Pavements by Adele, Marry Me by Train and You Make Me Feel by Cobra Starship have a listen as you read.
Okay on to the good stuff... enjoy ;)




~*~ Bella Swan ~*~

"Rose he was here I am not crazy, no one kisses me the way he does," I said starring at our reflections in the mirror.

"Okay Bella, no one is saying you're crazy, but you heard what Alice and Emmett said Edward flew to Paris yesterday and has been there ever since. I just don't want you to get your hopes up too far expecting something that just isn't going to happen."

"Yeah… what are the odds right."

"Maybe the bigger picture is that your mind is trying to tell you that you need a break. I mean between you constantly having to see Edward and that woman paraded on television, and now Jake is back, not to mention Jason maybe what you really need is some time away."

"I would love to just get away from all of it but I can't, I have to work."

"Yeah… but you already took off half of the week before Alice's wedding why don't you take the entire week off and we can go hang out in London with Alice and Bree and just have fun, just the girls."

"You're forgetting one of the people I am trying to get away from lives with Alice. I don't think that's actually going to help me get my mind off of him."

"Well that's where you're wrong apparently they have this castle in Scotland that they only use during the summer and that's where we'd be staying. Its hours away from where Edward would be and it's a freaking castle Bella," Rose said finishing touching up her makeup and leaning on the sink facing me. "Maybe the space will give you some clarity on the situation."

"Yeah you're right, let's go ahead and leave the weekend before the wedding and just make it a full week of R&R."

"Great, I am happy you agree because I've already told Alice we are coming."

We walked out of the relative quiet that was the ladies room back into the party. Rose went back into work mode and I headed to the bar for a strong drink. I was now semi positive that my mind was in fact playing a trick on me and that I hadn't actually seen Edward nor had I felt his soft lips against mine. Nevertheless, boy did I want to.

"What can I get you?" the female bartender dressed up as a sexy nurse yelled over the music.

"Patron shot, in fact make it a double," I replied glancing over the drink menu.

The bartender turned around and began pouring my shot. I glanced over my shoulder to the corner I thought I had saw Edward fleeing from when I saw someone standing in the shadows. As soon as our eyes met the person disappeared back into the shadows, I got up from the bar and decided to follow them because I needed answers one way or another.

I followed the faux Batman out the back door and into the adjacent alley behind the club. "Wait… why are you running from me?" I yelled as they continued to walk away from me.

He turned and walked right up to me pulling me into another kiss. I allowed myself to fall into the warm embrace of the masked man in front of me knowing in my heart of hearts that it was not Jason. I pushed myself away from him not wanting to be caught up in the moment before I got my answers when I saw them, instead of a sea of green, his eyes were pools of chocolate brown.

"Jake?" I asked taking a step back utterly confused and slightly pissed it still was not Edward.

He stood there for a moment before pulling the mask off revealing himself. "Yeah it's me."

"What are you doing here and why were you hiding in the shadows watching me?" I asked taking another step away from him.

"Bella stop, it's nothing like that and you know it. I ran into your friend at the costume shop yesterday picking up his costume and so I got a matching one. I figured I could come here and sweep you off your feet and show you better than I could tell you that we belong together. However, when I got here I saw the way you two were kissing by the door."

Wait… so that means that it wasn't Jake that I kissed the first time or Jason?

"Jake you can't keep following me around, we broke up, it was nasty and hurt a lot but we can't go back and pretend none of it happened."

"That's the thing, I don't want to pretend none of it happened. I just believe that the two of us can get past anything. You cheated on me with Edward, I said some things to you that I seriously regret, we can't change any of that all we can do is try and build from it and be honest going forward. I still love you Bella Swan and no amount of time I spent away from you was going to stop that, it just made me want you more," he said slowly walking towards me. "Tell me you don't still feel that spark when we kiss, tell me you don't still have feelings for me, tell me you aren't just using this bartender as a place holder because you couldn't have me or Prince Charming."

"I – I can't… I can't tell you what you want to hear."

"Who do you think you're lying to Bella, I am one of your best friends I know when you're not telling the truth. You still want me and you and I both know it," he said pulling back into an embrace and planting another kiss on my lips. My arms went around him instinctively and months of anger, resentment and all of our baggage was out the window and I was back in the beginning of the summer when things were easy.

The door slammed shut and I pulled away from Jake in time to see Jason standing their looking extremely pissed off. I pushed myself out of Jake's arms and took a step towards Jason who in turn took another step back.

"Jason… I – I can explain."

"Don't bother, it's pretty self explanatory. You have been avoiding me all night and disappearing because you've been sneaking off to make out with your ex boyfriend. I am assuming this was planned since we got the same memo I did about what to costume wear."

"It's honestly not what you think."

"Save the excuses darlin', it was nice while it lasted but let's just call this what it is, I was a rebound."

I stood there speechless, deep down I knew it was true. I wanted to find that epic love with Jason but I would never have the same feelings for him that I've had for Jake and especially Edward.

"Jason look you weren't just a rebound to me. You helped me find my happiness again; my move to New York wouldn't have been as memorable without you."

The pain in his eyes was palpable. I cannot believe I am back in this situation again, having to break someone's heart. "Jason I am so, so, so, sorry I don't know what's wrong with me I am a mess," I said walking back inside the party before either Jake or Jason could see me fall apart.

I walked up to the bar and took a seat wiping away the tears running down my cheeks. I motioned to the bartender to pour me another shot. I pulled my money out of my bra and threw it down on the counter downing the drink. I tapped the counter asking for another shot when I felt a hand slowly crossing my back, caressing it ever so softly.

"Look, I just want to be alone right now," I said not even turning around.

I grabbed the freshly poured shot off the counter and downed it as a pair of lips started kissing up my collarbone and neck. I turned around quickly to find Batman smiling down at me.

"I am serious, I can't deal with this right now, I just want to sit here and drink until I feel nothing."

He stood there with that same crooked grin, staring at me before reaching out and grabbing my hand and pulling me off the stool. I resisted for a moment before giving in and following him across the now spinning room and out the front door.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked pulling my hand away from his. "Just because I am a little buzzed doesn't mean I am going to just forget how you've hurt me and sleep with you."

He did not respond but instead turned around and gave the valet his slip for his car.

"Don't you dare ignore me, I said I am not…" I said before he turned around pulled me against his body and shut me up the only way that he possibly could have, with a kiss. I attempted to break free, but between the fog that was now forming in my head and the electricity I felt as our tongues danced, I gave in completely to the heat of the moment.

As the heat from our breath intertwined and his arms caressed my back working their way down, before stopping at my ass and cupping it, pulling me deeper into the kiss. I ran my hands down his muscular leather clad back pulling his body further into mine.

For this brief beautiful moment, it was as if we were the only two people in the world and nothing and no one else mattered. He pulled away from me as the valet was pulling up. He ushered me to the pasenger side opening the door for me.

I rested my head against the headrest as the lights from the cars driving by danced across the dashboard. I heard the driver's side door close before passing out.

The throbbing in my head that was pulsating from side to side was being made worst by the bright light shining into my room. I slowly opened my eyes, promptly closing them back and pulling the covers over my head as I realized that the bright light was the sun shining in through my windows. The sudden movement caused the mild throbbing to escalate into full fledge pounding. It was official I was hung over after having one too many shots at the party, what I couldn't remember was how did I end up back home.

I heard footsteps approaching my door, the door slowly being pushed open and someone walking in.

"Rose I can't believe you let me drink that much last night," I whispered, trying to avoid causing my head to hurt anymore than it already did and without moving the covers from over my head. "Can you do me the biggest favor and close the curtains; I just can't with the brightness this morning."

I felt something being sat down at the end of the bed and then the sound of my curtains being pulled closed.

"Thanks," I said pulling the covers off and spotting a shirtless Edward standing next to my bed. "What the hell…" I yelled, only to making the throbbing worse.

"Morning love," he said, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "I made you breakfast," he said, just as calmly as if this was the most normal of occurrences.

I sat their unable to fully digest the fact that the man that I had been trying to get over for the past few weeks was sitting in my room trying to feed me scrambled eggs and burnt toast. I reached out and touched his naked chest just to make sure that I wasn't still dreaming and making this whole thing up.

"It's really me Isabella," he said, with a laugh sliding the tray of food towards me. "You should probably eat something; you drank a lot last night."

I had so many questions I wanted to ask, but between the headache and shock, I just pulled the plate towards me and started eating.

As I sat, their eating the breakfast Edward made for me I could not keep my eyes off him out of fear that he would just disappear. Then I would not get the answers to the questions I wanted about last night and why he was even here, with me in my bed. If it were not for the knock at the door, I probably would have passed some sort of record for consistently staring at one person.

"B, morning how are…" Rose said, as she walked in and spotted Edward. "What in the hell are you doing here?"

"What's who doing where?" Alice asked walking in behind Rose and smiling slightly as she spotted her brother. "Edward, darling… I thought you were going to be in Paris for the week. What brings you to New York?"

Edward looked at all of us as we stared back at him waiting for some sort of explanation.

"Well I potentially had some smashing news and wanted to be the first to tell Bella in person."

"Oh really, what news?" Alice asked, walking further into the room.

"Yeah, what's the big news Edward?" Rose asked, crossing her arms and leaning back against the doorframe. "Let me guess, you're having twins."

"Rosalie Hale!" I snapped, getting annoyed.

"What?" She snapped back, rolling her eyes.

"Look I just wanted to come here and personally let Bella know that we're making Tanya take a DNA test as soon as possible, or she has to stop insinuating that, that child is mine," Edward said, not taking his eyes off of me.

"So basically, you flew all the way here to let B know that there's still a possibility that, that baby is yours…" Rose asked, walking over towards the bed. "News flash your highness but we already knew that."

"Rose, I think we should let Edward and Bella have a moment. We should call Emmett and Jasper and see what is taking breakfast so long," Alice said giving me a sympathetic glance before trying to usher Rose out of the room.

"Look Al, I know he's your brother and you have to love him, however, the way he keeps stringing Bella along isn't cool especially if he isn't able to commit to her one hundred percent. When he leaves, again, and she's left here broken and sad all over again, I am the one that has to help her pull herself back together and I won't let you do that to her, not again, I just won't."

"Rose I know this situation is not… ideal. Nevertheless, believe me when I say I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with Isabella. However, you are right; I am not able to make the commitment to her right now that I want. But I do intend to have Isabella become my wife one day, one way or another."

"Rose, please," I pleaded motioning towards the door. "I can handle this myself. I may be hung over but I am still a big girl and I can fight my own battles."

"Okay then…" Rose said, walking out of the room without another word followed by a smiling Alice.

"Look Isabella I am sorry to just pop up like this and spring this on you, but I just… I just had to see you and let you know that this nightmare is almost over."

I scooted to the edge of the bed and slowly got out and walked over towards my dresser to grab some Advil. I glanced at my reflection in the mirror and turned around to face Edward. "And then what are we suppose to do Edward? I asked, walking back over to the bed. "Are we supposed to just rewind time and go back to the summer and pretend this whole pregnancy thing never happened?"

"Well, yes that's exactly what we are going to do. This has just been a nefarious plot by a notorious social climbing family to raise their social standing and gain political influence. It in no way has to affect us," he said.

"Edward…" I sighed pulling my legs under me pretzel style.

"Don't make that face, hear me out first. I know I cannot make a long-term commitment to you right now, but all I want is one weekend, one weekend to be happy. With everything going on right now, don't we deserve one weekend?"

I slowly rubbed my forehead above my right eye were the throbbing continued. The thought of a spending a few more days with Edward where all the baggage is nonexistent sounded so alluring.

"We should probably get back to bed, you were on the piss last night and I am sure you would much rather sleep it off," Edward said climbing into the bed behind me and lying down.

I stretched out, pulling the covers up around me as Edward pulled me into his body wrapping his arms tightly around me. We laid there quietly with nothing but the sounds of our hearts beating rhythmically; I was just about to doze off when Edward kissed the back of my head.

"Before I met you I was only half a man, laying here with you now I feel so… so complete. You are the beacon of light in the darkness that was my life," he whispered into my ear wrapping his arms tighter around me. "I have been in love with you since the first time I saw you in Jamaica, and I will love you for the rest of my life. I want to spend the rest of my life with you in my arms like this; I want you to marry me."

My eyes popped open at his admission, I rolled over so that we were face to face and looked deep into his emerald eyes filled with loved and admiration. "Are you asking…" I started before he just kissed me tenderly.

"I mean this isn't the official way that I would want to ask, but I do want you to be my wife. You are everything I could possibly want in a wife, we would have the most amazing children, and you would be an excellent Queen."

"What about," I started

"Shhh, baggage free weekend remember." He interrupted kissing me on the nose. "This weekend is all about us."

"Fine, whatever you say," I said kissing him quickly and resting my head on his chest and closing my eyes as I inhaled the scent of Edward, mind running wild with images of Edward and I happily married with kids of our own.

The throbbing in my head that was pulsating from side to side was being made worse by the bright light shining into my room. I slowly opened my eyes, promptly closing them back and pulling the covers over my head as I realized that the bright light was the sun shining in through my windows. The sudden movement caused the mild throbbing to escalate into full fledge pounding. It was official I was hung over after having one too many shots at the party, what I couldn't remember was how did I end up back home.

I was back at home… the feeling of déjà vu was rolling excitedly through my body. I rolled over expecting to see Edward's body laying there next to mind. He was gone. I got to my feet and quickly ran downstairs to the living room half hoping to find him standing behind the stove making me breakfast.

"Hey B, you got up just in time Alice and Bree are on their way over for us to go dress shopping," Rose said, from the kitchen. "I made pancakes figured we could all use some hang-over food.

"Rose…" I paused trying to go back into my memory and figure out if Edward had really been here or if I had dreamed the whole thing. "Did I come home with you?"

"Uh no, you were here when Emmett and I got here last night. I was worried, Tara said you were throwing back shot after shot and then just left. What happened last night?"

"I um… Jason and Jake were both dressed as Batman; Jason caught me kissing Jake… twice. Jason dumped me, I turned Jake down, and I swear on everything I left the party with Edward. Or at least I thought I did…"

"Bella are you feeling okay? Edward is in Paris, Alice said she talked to him this morning about maybe asking Tanya to be in her wedding."

"Rose honestly, I am not even sure anymore what was real and what wasn't about last night," I said, sitting down at the bar rubbing my forehead. The more confused about last night I got the harder the throbbing in my head felt.

"Now this is the life, waking up in a flat only to find two beautiful girls and breakfast," Emmett said walking up behind me, sitting down on the barstool next to mine. "Rosie you are too amazing for words."

"Morning Em," Rose said, turning a light shade of red before turning back towards the stove.

"So Bells, how are you feeling? Heard you got pretty pissed last night," Emmett said sneaking a piece of bacon off the plate on the counter, only to be popped on the hand by Rose.

I bit down on my lip trying to hide the smile that was spreading across my features as I watched Emmett's expression change like a scolded child in a matter of minutes. "You're going to ruin your appetite," she said, kissing the spot on his hand that she had just hit.

"Yeah… right Emmett losing his appetite, I'd love to see the day," I said, as someone knocked on the door.

"Hardy ha ha Bella, you think you're so bloody funny," Emmett said, getting up to answer the door. "I'll have you know that I am still growing and need my nourishment."

Rose and I shared a knowing look before we both fell out laughing, the thought of 6'4" super muscular Emmett growing another inch was priceless. Rose abruptly stopped laughing as the door was opened and I slowly turned around to see who or what was causing that reaction in Rose.

"Rose can you please call off your security guard, I would like to have a word with Bella," he said, peeking around Emmett who was blocking the door.

"That's not up to me, Bella?" Rose asked, placing the last pancake on the stack next to the stove.

"What's in the bag?" I asked, walking up behind Emmett.

"Well I felt bad about just popping up so I figured I should at least bring something to eat. After last night I figured you could use some good food."

"Thanks," I said trying to push Emmett out of the way so that Jake could come in. "Em, I believe there's some bacon with your name on it over there."

"It's okay I wasn't planning on staying long, just wanted to drop the food off and see how you were feeling. Did you get the aspirin I left on your nightstand?"

"Wait… you brought me home last night?"

"Yeah, I felt bad about ambushing you like that and saw that you were getting pretty hammered. I wasn't sure where Rose was and didn't want to just leave you like that, so I drove you home."

I stood there in shock for a moment and just like that, all of the missing puzzles pieces where put into place. Everything I assumed was just a dream because I so desperately wanted it to have been Edward with me and not Jake had actually happened. I looked down at my left hand and there it was, the proof I needed that none of it had actually been a dream, I was engaged, just not to the person I thought.

"Oh my gawd, Bella is that an engagement ring?" Rose yelled, from the kitchen.

Before I could answer Rose was at my side staring at my hand as if it were infected. "How in the hell did this happen Jake?"

"Well I've had the ring since the summer, and I've been caring it around with me since I bumped into Bella a few days ago. Last night when we got here Bella was all over me, telling me how much she missed me and that she didn't care about any of the other stuff and that this should be a baggage free weekend were the two of us just start over."

"Oh no…" I gasp, starting to feel a bit sick.

"Long story short we were laying in Bed early this morning talking about how much we still loved each other and that we should get married and have kids, and so I proposed, and Bella said yes. When Bella fell asleep, I snuck out to go home change clothes, and then grabbed some breakfast and came right back."

"No… no this isn't right," I said, looking down at the ring on my hand.

"Well that's what I wanted to talk to you about, last night we had both been drinking and I figured you would feel differently in the morning, which is why I wanted to talk to you over breakfast. Look I love you Bella with all my heart, but I know you can't say the same."

"Maybe we should finish eating upstairs Rosie," Emmett said, grabbing his plate.

"Yeah… let's do that, we need to get dressed anyway Alice and Bree will be here any minute now."

Rose patted me on the shoulder before going upstairs with Emmett. "Come in," I said finally letting Jake in, closing the door behind him. We walked over into the living room and took a seat on opposite ends leaving plenty of space in between us.

"So…we're engaged," he said, trying to break the ice.

"Apparently," I said, playing with the rock on my ring finger. "So… where did the ring come from?"

"Well, you were right when you thought I was going to propose during the summer. I wasn't sure what you were going to say so I had the key ready as a plan B. So when you told me you didn't want to get married, I opted to ask you to move in with me instead."

"So you've been carrying this ring around since then?"

"Nope, I was actually going to sell it, however, a little voice told me not to, that I shouldn't just give up on you and us and that I should fight for what I wanted out of life. Bella, I am all alone at this point, my family is gone and I had lost you."

"But Jake…"

"I know, I know you aren't ready to get married. Well not to me anyway, but I want you to think about it. I can't say he doesn't love you as much as I do, or that he couldn't give you more than I can. But what I can say is that unlike him, I can make you my priority, so all I ask is that you just think about it."

I sat there for a moment really thinking about what Jake was saying. What kind of half-life would I have waiting around for Edward to come and sweep me off my feet? How much of my life would I waste sitting around waiting for something to happen that may never happen. Sitting in front of me was a man that loved me with his entire heart and was willing to follow me across the country to prove it.

"Okay, I'll think about it," I said.

"Great, I knew it."

"Wait… I am not saying yes and I am not saying no either. All I am saying is that I'll think about it."

"That's all I ask, I know you have a lot to do today so I am going to get out of here before you change your mind. I'll call you later; maybe we can go to dinner or something tonight to celebrate our maybe proposal."

I giggled at the amount of excitement radiating off Jake. "We'll see, I should be done by mid-afternoon so just call or text me."

I walked Jake out, grabbed a muffin out of the bag he dropped off and headed upstairs. I was on the landing turning to go up the last seven steps when I heard Emmett whispering in the hallway.

"We have a problem, Jake proposed last night and I think she's going to say yes." I stopped in my tracks slightly confused whom Emmett could be talking to, it wasn't like him to be gossiping. "How in the bloody hell am I supposed to know? Look I did what you asked and told you about the costume, everything else was up to you. How exactly am I supposed to fix it?" I inched up to the next step only to have it creak under my weight. "Look I have to go get dressed; I'll meet up with you a little later."

I ran the rest of the way up the stairs pretending I ran all the way up. "Hey, Em," I said walking past him as if nothing happened and walking into my bedroom.

~*~ Edward Cullen ~*~

I hit the end button and threw the phone across the room. How could my plan get off track like this? Last night went perfectly; the kiss I shared with Isabella was fucking brilliant. I even set it up for Emmett to send Jason over to see it so that he would break up with her. What I did not plan for was this thorn in my side Jacob Black. What was he doing in New York? Well this is why you must always have a 'Plan B'. I walked across the room and grabbed my now cracked iPhone. I typed out the text message and hit send; I was not going down without a fight. I wanted Isabella back and I was going to do everything in my power to make sure that happened.

~*~ Bella Swan ~*~

"Bella what do you think?" Alice asked.

"Huh?" I asked making it blatantly obvious I hadn't been paying much attention.

"We were trying to figure out where we were going for dinner any suggestions?"

"Oh no, where ever is fine with me," I said looking out the window.

"B, you've been starring at the thing all day. You barely paid attention all afternoon to the dresses Alice tried on, and now you're checked out again. Spill it," Rose said getting a nod of agreement from both Alice and Bree.

"I don't know what you want me to say."

"Well you kept the engagement ring on so that must mean something," said Bree.

"I know right! Are you seriously thinking about marrying Jake?" Rose asked looking from the ring to me.

"That's the thing I don't know what I am going to do, all I know is things haven't been turning out the way I thought they would so why not stop making my own plans and just see where life takes me," I said slowly spinning the ring around on my finger.

"Look Bella," Alice said taking a deep breath. "I know a part of you is hoping that my brother is going to see the light and come running and to be honest we are all not so secretly hoping that'll happen too."

"Umm, I don't..." Rose interrupted rolling her eyes.

"Okay well Bree and I, are hoping it will happen, but at the same time. You should not have to put your life on hold while my brother gets his shite together."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"Bella its simple do you love Edward?" Bree asked.

"You know I do, I love him so much it scares me sometimes."

"Yeah, but do you also love Jake?" Alice chimed in.

I glanced down at the ring again. "Yeah I really do. It's like no matter what Jake and I go through he'll always be there and love me."

"So it's official then, you're going to accept his proposal?" asked Rose.

"I want to, I mean I do… but what will Edward think? Well I know what he will think. It will look as if my love for him meant nothing and I couldn't even wait out this stupid pregnancy rouse to be together."

"For fucks sake Bella, Edward made his own bed and now he has to lay in it. Stop letting his bad choices dictate your life. Either you're going to fight to be happy or you're going to continue having meaningless flings with bartenders to avoid facing your own unhappiness. And, as your friends we cannot just to sit by and watch you continue to pretend you are okay. You know how many nights I've sat in my room listening to you cry until you've fallen asleep. I want you back, and if marrying Jake is what's going to get my friend back then I support it one hundred and ten percent." Rose snapped, getting confirming nods from both Alice and Bree.

"Edward is my brother and I love him dearly, but he is not ready for this kind of intimacy Bella, hell to avoid dealing with Tanya by himself he flew off to Paris for the weekend. He has never been able to maintain a long-term relationship with anyone of the opposite sex, and as much as I know he loves you, I do not think it will be any different with you."

We all sat their quietly, I turned to look out of the window trying to hide the tears that were quickly escaping my eyes. The girls were partially right; the relationship I was holding out to have with Edward was not looking very likely and the longer I sat idly by waiting for him I would be missing out on the best part of my life.

I pulled my phone out of my clutch and sent Jake a quick message letting him know that I needed to meet with him tonight.

"I just got a text from Jasper, he and the boys are at a club in midtown and want us to come join them," Alice said, looking up from her phone. "Maurice we're going to midtown, 6 West 25th St., between Broadway and Sixth Aves to be exact," she said, talking into the intercom to the driver.

"As you wish," the driver replied.

My phone vibrated and I read the message from Jake asking where and when. I replied that we were on our way to a club and sent him the address. He quickly replied that he'd be there in fifteen minutes sharp.

I sat wrapped up in my own thoughts for the rest of the ride completely ignoring the conversation between the girls. I am positive I am making the right decision when it comes to Jake. However, as I stared out of the window I could not help but wonder what Edward was doing at this exact moment.

~*~ Edward Cullen ~*~

"Edward I honestly cannot believe you've gone through this much trouble for one girl. This is so not like you."

"Riley that's just it, she's not just some girl I am trying to shag and be done with you know. Isabella is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with," I said playing with the ring in my pocket. "I have to show her that, I have to show her that I am in this for the long haul and that she is everything to me."

"Well if this doesn't do it I don't know what will mate, I mean you rented out the entire VIP suite, filled the place with her favorite flowers, and have the kitchen making her favorite dish. If she turns you down after this she needs to be committed because clearly she's mad."

"Who's mad?" Emmett asked walking up.

"Bella is if she doesn't jump all over Edward after this grand gesture," Riley said looking around.

"Well I am sure SK will appreciate it, however, between what happened this morning and now this, I'd be careful not to overwhelm her. She puts on a brave face but inside this has to be eating up at her."

"Okay Jeremy Kyle, why do you keep calling her SK and what would you have me do then?" I snapped.

"Well Bella made it clear at Halloween she's a little Sex Kitten so I call her SK, and the grand gesture is amazing bro, I am just saying two proposals in one day from two guys she truly loves probably won't go over too well."

"Emmett, don't rain on Edward's parade. According to Bree Bella hadn't made up her mind about Jake's engagement so it's not too late for Edward to get in there and win her back," Riley said giving Edward a supportive pat on the back.

"Oh for Christ sake, I love Bella like a sister and just don't want to see either of you idiots upset or hurt her," said Emmett, walking behind the bar and pouring himself a drink. "I want nothing more than you to put a ring on it, and make her my official sister but you and Jake need to give that girl time to process her feelings without all of these grand gestures clouding her judgment. Hell she just broke up with Jason, give the girl some bloody room to breathe."

"Well, looks like ya'll started the party without me," Jasper said walking over, "Alice said they are on their way, and should be here in a few minutes."

"Your Highness' is there anything else we can do for you to help make this night magical?" Tori, the club manager asked.

"No Tori, everything looks amazing thank you so much for doing all of this," I said, slipping her a sizable tip for her efforts. "Before I forget you did have everyone here sign the agreements we sent over earlier?"

"Oh yes sir, everyone signed the agreements and turned their cell phones into your security upon arriving earlier this afternoon. It will be as if you were never here," she winked before walking away.

Emmett, Jasper, Riley and I sat at the bar waiting for the girls to arrive as the staff continued putting the final arrangements together. I had Em, pour me a drink to help settle my nerves that were definitely picking up. I was about to do something I never thought I would ever do until I absolutely had to, I am about to put my bachelorhood behind me and ask the woman of my dreams to be my wife.

Tori came back ten minutes later to inform us that the car the girls were in had just pulled up and there were not any photographers in sight. Rose, Alice and Bree all walked in and were completely amazed and swooned pretty hard.

"Edward! What on earth are you doing here?" Alice asked giving me a hug. "When I talked to you this morning you told me you were in Paris working."

"Well if I would have told you I was in the city it wouldn't have stayed a secret for long, now would it." I said, before kissing her on the cheek. "So where's Isabella?" I asked noticing she was the only one missing.

Alice slowly turned to look at Bree, who turned to Rose, who rolled her eyes. "If you must know, Bella is outside talking to Jake about their engagement."

"What in bloody hell is he doing here?" I asked walking towards the door.

"Edward wait, whatever Bella decides in regards to Jake you have to promise me you'll respect her decision," Alice said running in front of the door. "She didn't come to this decision lightly and doesn't need to feel any more guilt from anyone."

"Come off it Alice, I think I am capable of talking to Isabella without making her feel guilty," I said moving her out of the way so I could go to Bella.

I walked out into the hall and towards the stairs. I made it halfway down the curved staircase before I saw them standing at the bottom hugging. The sight of her wrapped in his arms pissed me off. I was seeing red or in this case green and had to get out of here. I couldn't be in the same room with the two of them as they shared in the excitement of their engagement as my ring sat coldly in my pocket and not on her finger.

I turned around nearly stumbling backwards, as I ran back up the stairs almost colliding with Tori.

"Edward, is everything okay?" She asked brushing herself off.

"Yes… No… I need to get out of here. Is there a back way?" I asked.

"Yes sir, follow me," she said giving me a puzzled look but leading me down towards a door at the back of the hall that lead to the service lift and the backdoor. I thanked Tori for all her help and started down the alley towards the street.

I walked down the block to the nearby park, luckily, it was getting dark and no one would recognize me. I couldn't believe she actually said yes to his proposal. Did I mean so little to her that she could just run off and marry that… that uncivilized animal.

~*~ Bella Swan ~*~

The car pulled up outside of the club and waiting by the door stood Jake looking every bit as nervous as I felt. The driver walked around and opened the door, Bree and Alice got out of the car first. Rose turned and gave me a reassuring hug before climbing out. I slid down to the back and slowly got out of the car. I walked over to the doors of the club where Jake was holding the door open for everyone.

"Good evening your highness, I hope your shopping trip was satisfactory, your brothers and fiancé are waiting for you upstairs if you'll follow me," the host said motioning towards the stairs.

"You guys go ahead I need to talk to Jake," I said as they all started up the stairs.

"Bella I am so happy you called and wanted to meet. I wasn't sure I would get an answer back this fast."

"You know I love you, aside from Charlie you're the first man I have loved in my life," I started.

"I know exactly how you feel Bella, and that's why it just seemed like a no brainer that we should spend the rest of our lives together. I love you more than I can put into words."

"Jake stop, this is hard enough," I said looking away from his gaze, trying to squash the butterflies in my stomach. "I will always love you and you've been there for me through so much and I can never thank you enough for that. However, I know in my heart that marrying you wouldn't be fair to you. I'll never be able to love you the way you deserve for me to."

"Bella please don't say it, don't tell me that you don't love me enough to marry me. That we are not meant to spend the rest of our lives together, that this longing I have in my heart is not for you because it is. I love you, with all of my heart I do," he said as his eyes started to water.

"The time we spent together was – was the most amazing time of my life but I cannot deny the fact that I don't love you the way…"

"Say it, you don't love me the way you love him. I do not get it Bella, he's done nothing but disappoint you time and time again and yet you're fine waiting for him. What if he never comes around? What if you spend the rest of your life waiting for your prince to come and he never comes and you end up alone?"

"Then I'll die knowing that for a few blissful months I was with the love of my life and he was taken from me but I never gave up hope that we would be reunited."

"I see, so that's it then. What about us Bella, what about me?"

"Jake you're one of my best friends, and the months that we didn't speak were some of the hardest for me. I don't want to lose you as a friend because I can't marry you," I said wiping away a tear from his cheek. "I'll always love you Jake, just not the way you want or need me to," I said pulling him into a hug.

"He doesn't deserve you Bella, you're too good for him," Jake whispered in my ear before kissing me on the cheek and pulling away from me.

I slowly pulled the engagement ring off my finger and slipped it into Jake's hand. "Promise me you won't disappear again."

"I can't make that promise Bella, I need some time to get myself together and figure out what I am going to do with my life. However, I promise I'll be back I value our friendship too much to just walk away forever."

I smiled and threw my arms around him again, I was so afraid that Jake would shut me out completely because I didn't want to marry him and he wasn't. He was taking this a lot better than I thought he would.

"Goodbye Isabella," he said leaning down and giving me a kiss.

"Bye Jake," I said as he turned to walk back out of the club.

I walked up the stairs and down the hallway following the sound of Emmett laughing. I entered the VIP suite and everyone immediately stopped their conversations and stared at me. I just held up my left hand and showed off my ring less finger. The entire room let out a collective breath and the tension was lifted immediately.

"So what did Edward say?" Riley asked breaking the silence.

"Say to what? Edward's in Paris and doesn't know anything about this… right?" I asked.

"Wait… you didn't. Um, never mind," Riley said, grabbing his glass and downing the contents.

"Okay someone please explain to me what the hell is going on," I said walking over to the table and sitting down. "Don't everyone speak at once." I said.

"Edward was never in Paris Bella," Emmett said. "He's been here all weekend. He flew in with Riley and Jasper and made us promise not to say anything."

"Wait he wasn't at the…he couldn't have known about the costume."

"Actually, he was at the Halloween party he was going to surprise you, apparently you two kissed and he was trying to get you alone to surprise you but Jake showed up and beat him too it."

"How… how did he know to dress up as Batman? Why didn't he say anything after the kiss? I knew it was him, and he just ran away."

"I told him about the costume after Rosie told me. As far as the kiss, apparently he saw Jason, or at least thought he did until he realized it was Jake in the same costume. Then this morning he was on his way over but as you know, it was not a good time. That brings us to tonight where he set this whole quadruple date up for us. When everyone came up but you and he found out you were downstairs talking to Jake he went to see what was going on and hasn't been back."

I sat there digesting everything Emmett was saying to me. I was not crazy, I had been kissing Edward at the party, and he really was here. He came back for me. Then it hit me; he had to have seen Jake and me hugging when he came to look for me and assumed the worst. I jumped up and ran to the door.

"Bella, where are you going?" Rose asked.

"I have to find him and explain that I turned Jake down. That he's the only man I want to marry and spend the rest of my life with."

"We'll help you look for him," Alice said, getting up with Bree.

"We will too," Riley said, standing up with Emmett and Jasper.

Everyone turned to look at Rose who was still sitting and sipping her wine. "What?" she asked before rolling her eyes. "I guess I can help too."

"He's not answering his phone," Riley said before leaving Edward a voice mail.

"He couldn't have gotten far, it's been what five to ten minutes since he left," Emmett said sending him a text.

"Look I don't have time for this, if you hear from him let me know. I am going to go and check outside," I said running out of the door and into the hallway where I collided with the host from earlier. "I am so sorry," I said helping her up off the floor.

"I am starting to think it's me, that's the second time that's happened in the past fifteen minutes," she responded.

"Wait… have you seen Edward, we can't find him." I asked helping her pick up her stack of papers from the floor.

"Actually, he's the other person that's bumped into me today. He left about five minutes ago out the back. I think he was headed for the park across the street."

"Thank you, thank you so much." I said handing her, her papers and running down the stairs. As soon as I walked out the front door, I was immediately blinded by flashing lights. Fucking paparazzi had figured out where we were.

"How was dinner with the Royals?" One yelled.

"I have no comment, leave me alone," I said trying to walk away.

"Come on, give us something. Are you still having an affair with Prince Edward?"

I ran to the corner with them following closely behind me. A town car stopped in front of me and the door opened revealing Edward sitting in the backseat.

"Quick get in," he yelled shielding his eyes from the flashes. "Bella get in."

I climbed into the back seat of the car and shut the door as it quickly pulled away from the curb.

"I need you to take us to the St. Regis as quickly as possible," Edward said to the driver.

"Isabella what were you doing out there by yourself?"

"I was looking for you; we need to talk about what you saw."

"I think it was pretty self explanatory… so congratulations I wish you both all the best."

"Will you just shut up for a minute; I am trying to tell you that I said no."

"What?"

"I told Jake no, we are not engaged. I know you saw us hugging but what you didn't wait around to see was that it was a goodbye hug," I said showing him my ring less hand as proof. "The only person I would even consider marrying is you."

"I can't believe this, I was so sure you were accepting his proposal and that it was really the end of us. I am not ready to lose you, I set this whole weekend up so that I could… well I was planning to make this grand gesture in front of our friends and my stupid jealousy ruined it."

"Edward does it matter we're together now, grand gesture or not, that's what's important."

"That is why I love you so much, you don't care about the trivial things in life. You're the first woman to make me want to completely change and become a better person and my life would become incomplete without you in it," he said reaching into his pocket. "Marry me, Isabella. Together could never be close enough for me, to feel like I am close enough to you. You have shown me that true love can overcome any obstacle and that together we can get through anything. I cannot promise that we won't fight or that I won't do things that'll make you mad, however I will spend every day for the rest of my life doing whatever it takes to make you happy all you have to do is say yes. Marry me," he said pulling out the biggest diamond ring I had ever seen and sliding in onto my finger.

Before I could answer, flashes started going off on both sides of the car. We turned to look out of the windows and saw that we were surrounded by paparazzi trying to get a picture of us together.

"We need to lose them," Edward yelled to the driver.

"I'll take some side streets and then go through the park before circling back around," the driver said.

The car started swerving through the traffic but the photographers where still close. One car got so close that it bumped us causing me to hit my head on the headrest in front of me.

"Your Highness, Miss Swan buckle up now," the driver said taking a sharp right turn crossing three lines of traffic.

I quickly put me seat belt on and I felt my heart beating in my chest as the photographers chased us through midtown Manhattan recklessly. "Yes, Edward I'll marry you."

Edward smiled and leaned over to kiss me but all I saw was the headlights headed right for the driver's side of the car. Edward held onto my hand as our car flipped through the intersection before landing upside down and sliding into a nearby tree.

Everything was hazy, I tried to open my eyes but I was being blinded by flash after flash. I was hanging upside down strapped to the seat by the seat belt that I only put on minutes before the accident. The flashes stopped and the swirls of red and blue lights took its place. I turned to my left to see how Edward was doing but he was not there. Neither was the driver, I turned and looked out the front window and laying in the street no more than four feet from the car was Edward's body. Tears started immediately falling down my forehead and then everything went black again…



A/N: I know, I know this chapter was tragic for many reasons. But I did promise to continue to bring the drama and I am not going to disappoint. I however hope the wait for Edward and Bella to be together lived up to some of your expectations. Until next time...

~D. Walls

P.S. Just in case you forgot the review link is right below this... like right, right below it.

No comments:

Post a Comment